And provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 NIV

Friday, March 14, 2014

Dad

Paul Nazario
June 22, 1922 to March 13, 2014
My Dad died this morning about 1:00 am. He slipped away peacefully March 14, 2014.  He had been suffering from dementia and horrible arthritis in his knees. 

Dad was born in Puerto Rico and moved to the US with his family when he was 1 1/2 yrs. old. There were 8 children in his family. Pete, Dad, Andy, Johnny, Julia, and Mary plus twin baby's that died in infancy. Dad went to school for physical therapy and changed to Dentistry and practiced that for over 25 years.

It was difficult to see my Dad laying in his hospital bed at the Assisted Living Center.  My strong Dad was pretty much a self made man....well almost.  You know what they say, "Behind every good man is an even better woman!" Mom and Dad have been married for 64 years and in this age that is almost a miracle.

Walking me down the aisle on
December 14, 1975.  Pretty dapper with
the mustachio Dad!  Very handsome as
always.


My Dad was a terrible father!  He made me be respectful to Mom or out to the shed!  I was out there a lot for various infractions like acting up in church or not obeying Mom or him.  He also made me work.  I had to clean my room constantly! I couldn't leave the bathroom a mess either.  If it didn't pass inspection I heard about it.  He also beat the boys off with a stick (almost literally). He made me weed and I hated it.  My brothers will tell you I tried to figure out any excuse to get out of it.  Dad also made me save the money I earned. Dad insisted on good grades or boy howdy it was out to that stupid shed! I worked in the Dental office, the Apricot Orchards, and while away at school (the school pay went on my bill). Yeah, we went to private and boarding schools.  He believed in a good Christian education. 

Dad also was very afraid for us!  He read to us from the paper about the accidents caused by alcohol and drugs.  He didn't want us getting hurt and so he took us to see cracked up cars with brains still in the back seat.  Yeah, that did it for me...never used or drank.

Consequently I learned respect, a good work ethic, holiness in the sanctuary and respect and honor to God and authority, pride in my home, not to spend frivolously and save, saving myself for my husband, and there isn't a weed in my yard, and I got decent grades and have a degree.  So I guess he wasn't such a terrible father after all. 

Dad loved sports especially baseball.  He played in school and in the army.  I have his old catchers gear.  It's pretty cool. He didn't realize that girls could play sports until I was in high school.  I played baseball, basketball, tennis, racket ball, golf, horseshoes, and even tried my hand at surfing. I loved playing golf with Dad especially on a trip to the TI Club (Thousand Island Golf Club and Resort). We played 36 holes everyday.  It was a riot.

Dad  took us on family vacations every year.  We most often went to see family and go to reunions.  We had a ball playing with our cousins especially at Uncle Andy's Farm on the lake.  Steve learned how to swim there and we all ended up with swimmers ear.  We would sleep out on the screened in porch and listen to Johnnye Ann tell goofy stories and we would laugh till our sides split.

Early Family Photo
Sue, Dad, Steve, Mom, Jimmy, and Tom
Dad often took Mom on special vacations - just the two of them.  They went to China, Spain, Europe (I got to go on that one) that included Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.  They have albums full of travel pictures that would do National Geographic proud.

One of the things most dear to my Dad's heart was his service in the Army.  He was originally drafted into the Navy, but upon appealing to the board because he gets terribly sea sick they honorably discharged him and inducted him into the Army. He was a medic. Upon returning home from a tour he was bringing his mother some parachute silk and French perfume.  The vessel they were sailing in hit an iceberg and all his gifts went into the sea.  The ship limped home and Dad was safe but no gifts for Nana. He was also proud of his siblings service too.

Dad's 90th birthday,  Steve made a family album for him as he
was beginning to lose his memory and we thought this
would help him remember.  He loved the book.

Dad loved his kids and grandkids.  After moving out of our home we didn't get to spend a lot of time with him because we are spread all over the map.  However there were times like when Tom, Steve, and Jim along with Crista took Dad back to see the WW2 Memorial.  It was a beautiful trip and Dad recalled it with much fondness. Dad didn't talk about the service much until the last few years.  Then it was all he could talk about. He was proud of his service and his country.


Mom, Tom, and Sue with Dad
February 4, 1014
After Dad retired from Dentistry he developed a love for gardening.  He had a small orchard and shared his bounty with anyone who wanted some.  There are many pictures of him with his farmers hat on out in the back forty (well it was the back 1/2 but it was his field).  It was his peaceful place. He also liked trapping the gophers and other critters that chewed up his yard.  I wrote a poem called The Mighty Hunter for his 77th birthday.

I was just out to see Dad and Mom.  I came home last Tuesday.  On Monday I went to say good-bye to Dad.  He was in a good mood.  I asked if he would like to pray before I left and he said yes.  He then prayed a beautiful prayer.  I didn't think he would be able to do it because of his dementia, but he was lucid and I will treasure that moment with him always.  Somehow I had the feeling I wouldn't be seeing him again.

As we contacted family today I heard loving stories and memories of what Dad has done for each one.  I will be posting some stories about my Dad for you to enjoy.  It was heart warming to know that he will be remembered with fondness.

Everyone of us will suffer loss - it's the life cycle.  I hate this part!  But I know that Jesus will come soon and raise my Dad and other family and friends that are laid to rest.  They will be made whole and we will be reunited.  I have that hope.  Still, I miss my Dad.  Having him there always helped me somehow feel safe. He was constant. He was there for my 60 years on this earth and I don't know what life is like without him. It's going to feel really strange.

Rest in peace Dad.  Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." 5And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true."…Revelation 21:3-5




1 comment:

  1. Thinking of you and praying as you grieve. This is a wonderful daughter's tribute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete