And provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 NIV

Friday, April 11, 2014

Whose Punishment Is It?

My Mom bought a piano when we lived in the Arroyo Grande house.  She liked to play and also have us kids learn to play. It's a beautiful AcroSonic upright piano.  Now I have to tell you that my folks always took very good care of the things they purchased and still have many things that were bought years ago and they are in pristine condition.  

One day as I sat at the piano I started picking at the decal that said AcroSonic just above middle C.  Not even thinking I continue to fiddle with it until a large part of it was gone.  Suddenly I woke up and realized that I was going to be in big trouble.

I also need to tell you that Dad had the eyes of an Eagle and super sonar sensitivity to the things he owned.  Almost as soon as he walked in the door from work he said, "Who scratched the S off the piano!" Like most young kids around the age of 10 I didn't want to experience the garage. So I blamed it on the first person that came to mind because I thought he would be too young to spank!  My baby brother Jim!

I have an older brother Tom and two younger brothers, Steve and Jim. My two other brothers knew they didn't do it and I didn't often lie to my Dad so they assumed I was telling the truth.  Jim protested in the strongest way a three year old could but it was to no avail.  

Instead of going into the garage my Dad chose to spank Jim right there in front of us.  Poor Jimmy!  My initial triumph at fooling Dad began to sour my stomach.  It became all knotted and I started feeling ill.  Jim was then sent to his room. I went to mine saying I wasn't feeling well.

I laid on my bed and began to cry. I prayed.  "God, I know what I did was wrong.  I know I need to go tell Dad the truth.  You need to make me strong enough because I know I am going to get an even worse spanking for making Jimmy suffer for what I did!"  After I dried my tears I gathered up all the braveness I could muster....which wasn't much but enough.... and went into see Dad.

"Dad, Jimmy didn't do that to the piano, I did." I said softly with down cast eyes.  "I'm ready to take my punishment."

I waited.  Dad looked at me and saw how I was suffering, and believe me, I was suffering!  It would have been better to take the initial spanking and get it over with.  Then he surprised me. "It seems you have suffered enough.  However, you need to go make things right with Jimmy."

I threw myself into Dad's arms and said, "I'm so sorry Dad.  I promise never to do this again!"  He gave me a warm hug and then I went to face my little brother.  Being so little he was ready and willing to forgive me and gave me a warm hug too.  

Repentance is difficult, but the forgiveness I received was very freeing.  My soul, instead of being burdened and heavy, was now free to rejoice.  I never blamed anyone for something I did again.

I am reminded how Jesus took my punishment for me.  I read Isaiah 53 with different eyes now.  Christ took on all the sins of the world and died of a broken heart.  I am one who helped break it.  However, Christ was victorious over sin and made it possible for me to have forgiveness and participate in the freedom and joy of the heavenly kingdom.

I walked into the living room of my folks home in Santa Maria today.  There against the wall is the AcroSonic piano.  The S is still gone along with parts of other letters.  It is a reminder of what Dad taught me.  I'm looking forward to seeing him again on the resurrection day and thanking him for being such a good Dad!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant story about you and your dad...and I remember the piano and where it was placed in the living room in the AG house.

    ReplyDelete