And provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 NIV

Friday, May 16, 2014

Mom

As I sit here beside the bed holding Moms hand I am listening to her breathing. She is beginning to rattle as her lungs fill with fluid. It shouldn't be much longer now. She suffered a stroke on Mother' Day. It was severe enough that she would not recover. My brothers and I gathered together in a room close to Mom's ICUS and prayed as we made the decision to remove all life support. We wept.

The Doctor put her on an IV drip with morphine to "put her in a euphoric resting sleep".  And so she sleeps. Her rhythmic breathing is slightly labored. She has oxygen. Each one is taking turns holding her hand, there is no response.

I returned three weeks ago from Dads Memorial. It seems too much to lose Mom now. I was hoping to have time to do things with her but it is not to be.

As my brothers and I gathered around Mom to pray we all promised her to give our lives to Christ. She wanted us all to be in the kingdom and prayed for each one of us every day. Now we pray to release her to The Lord.

We face what is put in front of us. Sometimes it seems like too much. But god knows our frame. He knows what we can endure. I must trust Him. There is nothing else I can do.

While I sit beside her I think back to the time I was here before Dad died. Tom and Mom took me to Santa Barbara airport. I turn back to her after saying goodbye and wrapped my arms around her. " I don't want to leave!" Then I snapped a selfie of us. It was the last picture I would get of us together with her well.

I prayed for a miracle recovery. I'm sure so many in my position do the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment