And provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 NIV

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Golden Apples and Gift Boxes

I'm not talking about the kind you can eat, though they are very good.  I am referring to a fitly spoken word.  Solomon wrote in Proverbs 25:11,12:
"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.  Like an earring of gold and an ornament of fine gold is a wise rebuker to an obedient ear."
If I do something that's wrong and my friends don't say anything to me about it then I don't feel very loved by them.  Maybe that's because they didn't care enough about me to help me be a better person. I appreciate it when someone says something kindly to me to help me make things right.  It may be hard to hear, but I know that they care.  If I am willing to listen then I can make things right.  That is a huge relief, knowing that things are going in the right direction. When I can be a better person than I can be an obedient ear that displays the ornament of fine gold.

To those of you who care enough about me to give me fitly spoken words....thanks for the golden apples in silver settings.  You are a beautiful gift box.

No comments:

Post a Comment