And provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor. Isaiah 61:3 NIV

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Hope Diamond

When I think of a precious "rock" I think of the "Hope Diamond." It was originally owned by Jean Baptiste Tavernier and weighed in at 112 3/16 carats.  He sold it to Louis XIV of France in 1668. It was eventually cut down into a 67 1/8 carat stone.  It had a deep blue color and thus got the name "Blue Diamond of the Crown". The stone was reset and had several owners most being royalty.  The stone has an interesting history of travel throughout time. Eventually in 1901 Lord Francis Hope sold the diamond to pay off debt. This is probably how it got it's name. Harry Winston, who eventually ended up owning the diamond, donated it to the Smithsonian. After being weighed at the Smithsonian it was found to be   45.52 carats.  It is surrounded by 16 white diamonds and hangs from a chain with 45 white diamonds.

I can't even imagine touching such a thing let alone wearing it.  I wonder what the people felt like wearing it - both kings and ladies?  I wonder if it felt heavy?  One thing that made people ooh and aw over it was the deep rich color.  Some described it as having violet hues. But no doubt the deep blue was fascinating to see. For sure, it was considered a "precious stone."

There is a stone that is far greater and more precious that withstands time more pure and perfect than any diamond.  1 Peter 2:6 restates a passage from Isaiah.
"Behold, I lay in Zion a chief cornerstone, elect, precious. And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame."
When I compare both stones in this story I find that Jesus comes out as way more desirable.  No one was able to keep the "Hope Diamond." It changed from owner to owner. But I am able to keep Christ because it is He who keeps me!

2 comments:

  1. This stone is definitely big for a diamond but it's not that big of a stone. It was fascinating to see but I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Just makes you realize that worldly wealth is not always what it's cracked up to be. If I won the lottery, how long would that money last and fascinate and sustain me? Am I more sustained by my wonderful family? Am I more satisfied by my beautiful children? Would I have found the gem of a husband had I been searching for riches? Would I be who I am and have the stories I have that show that my life has been meaningful if I had chosen a life that was conducive to things like big diamonds? Money is fun but I'm sure it's not worth giving all that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Callie. Something to think about for sure!

    ReplyDelete